Re: Rewrite of feature tag syntax rules

From: Martin J. Duerst <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:48:23 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
On Thu, 22 May 1997, Larry Masinter wrote:

> >                                                    When it
> > comes to open name spaces, name spaces that possibly have to
> > be able to express things to end users, and name spaces that
> > possibly have to be able to express concepts in various languages,
> > ASCII only is a bad choice.
>
> I agree with you.
>
> However, I think it is a bad choice for 'feature tags' or 'pep
> extensions' to be designed or allowed to have any of those
> characteristics.

That may well be one position that can be taken on this issue.
As my expertise is internationalization, it's difficult for me
to judge this. But in case this is what the wg is going to agree
on, please help to make sure that the syntax is defined so that
everybody understands this, by e.g. restriction to a very small
character set (e.g. just decimal numbers).

Chosing ASCII as a compromize between the "opaque identifier" and
the "human readable identifier" camp and later being surprised and
annoyed by claims and flames from internationalization is something
we have learned should and can be avoided.

Regards,	Martin.