Re: Rewrite of feature tag syntax rules

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:48:43 -0400
To: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
At 11:09 AM 5/19/97 MDT, Jeffrey Mogul wrote:

>As Larry says, at the bottom of the hierarchy we want
>an enumerated type (essentially opaque) for specifying a feature
>tag "on the wire".  We could just as easily use small integers
>for these, but using ASCII tags might have some benefit in
>debugging things.  In fact, if we made a rule that ALL new HTTP
>header-names and tags were to be composed of randomly chosen
>(but unique) small integers, we would avoid a lot of useless debate.
>HTTP is for computers to talk to each other, not for humans.

This is in fact exactly what PEP is all about: Providing a mechanism for
defining a unique, dynamic mapping between an extension identified by a URL
and the local representation in the form of random (short) headers.

The semantics of the extension is for humans, the wire representation is
most definitely not.

Henrik
World Wide Web Consortium
http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk