Re: Proposal: Vary on Cookies

Richard,

Why don't you take a look at the Transparent Content Negotiation draft
suite? I think most/all of what you are concerned with could be nicely
accomplished via TCN and feature registration.

If not, perhaps there is a smooth way to integrate cookie values into TCN.

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Richard Vermillion wrote:

> I've been a lurker on the HTTP-WG list for about a year now, paying
> particular attention to the HTTP State Management threads.  I know this
> might be a bad time to propose an addition to the spec (considering the
> turmoil it seems to be in now, and that it seems to have fled to a
> sub-group), but I believe this functionality might be worth adding.
> If this functionality already exists, please let me (and the other
> cache-conscious dynamic-content implementers out there) know.  If there
> is a better forum for proposing this, let me know also.
>
> Often times, cookies are used to describe a characteristic of a visitor.
> These characteristics might be:
>   o Preferences the visitor has set earlier (e.g. Frames=no or
>     LotsOfImages=yes or Bgcolor=blue)
>   o Flags to mark the visitor (e.g. AnsweredQnr=yes; this person has
>     already filled out our questionnaire so don't ask again)
>   o The market segment of the visitor (and this will grow in
>     importance as online commerce ramps up) (e.g. BuyACar=3; they're
>     pretty likely to buy a car)

[.... remainder, snipped ... the above should refresh context ]

Check out
   draft-ietf-http-rvsa-v10-0*.txt
   draft-ietf-http-negotiation-0*.txt
   draft-ietf-http-feature-reg-0*.txt