RE: Issues-list item "CACHING-CGI"

Vinod Valloppillil <vinodv@microsoft.com> wrote:

  > Sorry to randomize y'all a bit but,
  >
  > Microsoft Proxy Server v1 caches objects that don't have LM.
  >
  > Over the course of the billions of objects we've proxied, we've found
  > that all objects that generate dynamic output (as well as all authoring
  > tools that generate dynamic HTML) have some other directive (e.g.
  > immediate expires; cache-control:private, etc.) that indicate the
  > non-cacheability of the object.

Your experience may depend on what origin servers your proxy acts as
proxy for.  None of the (HTTP/1.0) CGIs I've written (on Unix systems)
produce any headers that would indicate anything about cachability.
But they also don't contain Last-Modified.  I think that's typical of
Unix-based servers and their CGIs.

However, I just poked an Apache (1.2b7) server with a CGI and found it
produces:

Cache-Control: no-cache
Expires: Tue, 01 Jan 1980 00:00:00 GMT
Last-Modified: Tue, 01 Jan 1980 00:00:00 GMT

So maybe that's why things largely seem to work.
Dave Kristol