Re: Issues-list item "CACHING-CGI"

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Gregory J. Woodhouse wrote:

> The more I think about it, the more I think the right thing to do is not
> to return the current time as Last-Modified: but (if this makes sense)
> return the last modified date fore the data used to generate the response.

At some point I wrote http://vancouver-webpages.com/proxy/log-tail.pl
(Perl using LWP4) which does this kind of thing. It's a bit of a
nuiscance compared to just doing

print<<EOT;

<title>Here we go!</title>
Hey..
EOT

and I confess I haven't moved to LWP5 yet - there may be a package to do
it now.
In my search engine I attempt to handle IF_MODIFIED_SINCE, set
Last-Modified to the modification date of the last key to change, and set
Expires to the expected database update time. I haven't yet added any
HTTP/1.1 headers.
Some notes on this are at
http://vancouver-webpages.com/CacheNow/detail.html#CGI

In my copy of Squid; I have hierarchy_stoplist set to cgi-bin,? to match
the cache_stoplist of the parent, but cache_stoplist set to "map? gif?"
A scan of the access log shows several hits on DejaNews queries.

Server-side imagemap queries are clearly cacheable, but would have a very
low hit rate under normal conditions. Hmm; I think the output is usually
a redirect hence uncacheable; oh well ...  map? was from the xerox Parc
map server

Andrew Daviel
TRIUMF; Vancouver Webpages