Re: HTTP practice and Year-2000: the bad(?) news

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 97 10:58:53 MDT
To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Phillip M Hallam-Baker writes:

    I recall the change was made to the HTTP spec sometime in 1992.
    Perhaps you could state which clients were producing the buggy
    fields.

As I stated elsewhere in that message, I don't intend to "name names".

At any rate, most of the "buggy" (2-digit-year) date fields came
from servers, not clients.

My main concern is actually with the proxies that have been embedded
in various firewall products.  I know that in at least some firewall
designs, it's not possible to replace the existing HTTP proxy with
an off-the-shelf upgrade from an arbitrary vendor; you need to get
the firewall vendor to do the upgrade.  Which might slow down the
adoption of new proxies.

If any of these hard-to-upgrade proxies (1) do caching and (2)
are not year-2000-aware, we could be in for some interesting
results.

-Jeff