URI or URL? [was: PEP draft delayed -- diffs so far attached]

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:14:57 -0600
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>, timbl@w3.org
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com, "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen (E-mail)" <frystyk@w3.org>, khare@w3.org
Yaron Goland wrote:
> Abstract - Should it not be "each extension with a URI" not URL? This
> comment generalizes to the rest of the document.

And to the rest of the IETF world, as far as I'm concerned.

> The proposed use of a
> URL actually seems a perfect example of when a URN (if they existed =)
> should be used. Although I note that in the Protocol Header definition
> you do use URI.

Oops. I mean to be consistent.

I hope that some day soon, we can all agree that one of those
terms is dead and that the other includes all strings of the form

As to my opinion on which of URL and URI should survive,
I've said all I care to say on the matter.
See the W3C addressing page[1] and glossary[2] if you're curious.

The popular jargon follows the NCSA Mosaic documentation: the
word knows these things as URLs. The standards track
documents (RFC1738 and RFC1808) speak of URLs.

I'm tracking the URN WG[3] and the URL syntax and process
discussions (hey: where's the WG charter for those?) and
I'll follow their lead, unless this working group, its
chair, or the applications area director wants to tell
me which one to use.

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Addressing/#terms
[2] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Architecture/Terms
[3] http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/urn-charter.html

> >       http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/PEP/

Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
<connolly@w3.org> +1 512 310-2971
PGP:EDF8 A8E4 F3BB 0F3C FD1B 7BE0 716C FF21