Re: A broken browser

From: Alejandro Rivero <rivero@sol.unizar.es>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 21:32:40 +0100 (MET)
To: hedlund@best.com
Cc: mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

> On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
>
> I still don't get it.  "Accept" means "I accept these."  Why should the
> "Accept" header allow you to say "I don't accept this"?  Wouldn't that be a
> "Preferences" header, instead?  If you don't want to accept something,
> leave it out of the accept header!

I guess the problem comes then if you want to accept everything except
some unwanted format. By example, only postscript 2.0, or perhaps
every format except experimental, X-*, ones.

By example, if a server interprets 0.0 as "not desired", it would
be expected to interpret a request such as
                 text/* q=0.9, text/html q=0.0
by sending anything EXCEPT html

To put more perspective, go a step ahead and add language suport. Your
browser could want to avoid japanese encoding, but accept every
horizontal language. The reject feature seems needed here. It would
be expected the same implementation that for file types.

						Alejandro Rivero