W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > ietf-http-wg-old@w3.org > September to December 1996

Some data related to the frequency of cache-busting

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 17:17:31 PST
Message-Id: <9611280117.AA14247@acetes.pa.dec.com>
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Larry Masinter suggested that the case for hit-metering might
be strengthened by actual data on the frequency with which
apparently cache-busted responses are seen today.  (Note that
this does not address how the world might change once HTTP/1.1
is deployed.)

Larry's suggestion was to analyze the logs from a large number
of proxies, but I only have access to one (albeit very busy)
proxy.  Anyway, I do not believe that the standard log format
contains enough information to decide if a response has been
marked uncachable.

However, it so happens that I had collected some detailed traces
for the main proxy between Digital and the Internet, including
full request and response headers for a subset of the queries.

These traces were made over a period of about 5 hours last
I collected them as a trial run of a much longer set of traces
that I plan to obtain, for an unrelated research project, but
they have sufficient information to make a crude estimate of
the frequency of cache-busting.  What they don't and can't tell
us is whether the observed cache-busting is done for hit-metering
purposes, or for other reasons, but I don't think this is possible
without a detailed examination of the URLs and resources, and
I don't have time for that.

And, lest anyone be tempted to ask: we will not, under any
circumstances, release logs or traces from our proxy, for obvious
reasons of privacy.  So please don't ask.

I said that these were a "subset of the queries", because they
were collected for another purpose and I wasn't interested in
things like GIF and JPEG.  URLs with the following filename
extensions were not collected:
    "jpeg", "jpg", "gif", "exe", "z", "gz", "mpeg", "mpg", "au", "snd",
    "aif", "aiff", "aifc", "wav", "ief", "tiff", "xwd", "mpe", "qt",
    "mov", "avi", "movie", "gl", "dl", "fli", "flc"
The code that did the pre-filtering was pretty simplistic, so
a few references to hostnames in the .au domain were also omitted.

My analysis tools do not count references which were terminated
prematurely (i.e., the user hit "Stop").

For the references that I did collect, the totals are
	61108 references
	1406 unique client hosts
	19141921 request bytes	[headers + body]
	323409455 response bytes [headers + body]
	342551376 total bytes [requests + responses]

16365 of those references had status codes not defined as
cachable in section 13.4 of the HTTP/1.1 spec, so I did
not look any further at those.

11154 of the remaining references (18% of the total) had URLs with "?"
or "cgi-bin", so I assumed that these are uncachable and did not
analyze them for cache-busting.  (In fact, a moderate fraction of the
queries did have explicit expiration and last-modified times, which is
a subject for another study.)  For the queries, the byte-counts were:
	4335438 req-bytes, 48814692 resp-bytes, 53150130 total bytes

This left 33589 non-query possibly-cachable references (55% of the total
collected).  The byte-counts for these were:
	10402610 req-bytes, 270683010 resp-bytes, 281085620 total bytes
(which is a mean request size of 309 bytes, and a mean response size
of 8059 bytes).

I categorization two kinds of non-query, possibly-cachable responses as
"cache-busted":
	(1) those with no Last-Modified time given (which makes
	GET If-Modified-Since impossible).
	(2) those with both Expired and Last-Modified, and whose
	expiration time was less than or equal to their Last-Modified
	time (I called these "pre-expired" responses).
I probably should also have counted as "cache-busted" those responses
with an expiration time less than or equal to the value of their Date
response-header, if any, but I'll have to modify my tools to get that
information.

Anyway, the results are
	Responses with no last-modified time: 10401
	Responses pre-expired: 28
for a total of 10429 cache-busted refs, with these byte-counts:
	3932702 req-bytes, 81597623 resp-bytes, 85530325 bytes

As a fraction of all 61108 references, this is
	17% of the references
	21% of the req-bytes, 25% of the resp-bytes, 25% of the total bytes

As a fraction of the 33589 non-query possibly-cachable references:
	31% of the references
	38% of the req-bytes, 30% of the resp-bytes, 30% of the total bytes

Summary: while it is certainly debatable whether my categorization
of no-Last-Modified responses as "cache-busted" is appropriate or not,
if one accepts this categorization, then the frequency of cache-busting
seems to be pretty high.  One could also debate how much this would
be reduced by our hit-metering proposal, but there does seem to be
some potential here.

Clearly it would be a good idea to do a deeper analysis, including
more references, more than one proxy site, and a more careful
categorization of the references.  Maybe the major suppliers of
proxy software ought to provide support for gathering such statistics.

-Jeff
Received on Wednesday, 27 November 1996 17:28:44 EST

This archive was generated by hypermail pre-2.1.9 : Wednesday, 24 September 2003 06:32:18 EDT