Re: Server response version number

From: Tom Tromey <tromey@creche.cygnus.com>
Date: 21 Oct 1996 10:06:45 -0600
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: frystyk@w3.org, jcma@ai.mit.edu, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, w3c-http@w3.org
Larry> On a related issue, I'm concerned about the possibility that a
Larry> single server might 'downgrade' depending on the URL rather
Larry> than the version of the requestor: I think there are clients
Larry> that presume the version of subsequent responses based on the
Larry> version of previous responses.

I believe such servers are implicitly allowed by the definition of
"server":

  Likewise, any server may act as an origin server, proxy, gateway, or
  tunnel, switching behavior based on the nature of each request.

Imagine a proxy server that switches to tunneling behavior when
proxying for a 1.0 server, but is 1.1 otherwise.

However, the draft says this:

  Clients SHOULD remember the version number of at least the most
  recently used server

I don't think the version number of the server is actually knowable;
instead all a client can discover is the version number the server
used on the most recent request.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom