Server response version number

From: John C. Mallery <jcma@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 01:39:49 -0400
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: w3c-http@w3.org
It has been suggested that servers should always return the client's version.

I'm not sure this has been carefully thought through.

What happens in the cases of PUT, DELETE where we have 100 codes?

How does the client decide to send a 1.1 request in the first place?

Just try, and if a 1.0 server is confused, revert to 1.0?

I'd like to a definitive answer to:

The server should:

	a. Always return its http version.

	b. Always return the http version of the request.

Pick a or b.