Re: REPOST (was: HTTP working group status & issues)

From: David W. Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 20:30:07 -0700 (PDT)
To: http working group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Koen Holtman wrote:

> I personally have little interest in taking the work beyond a `safe:
> yes' mini-ID.  I don't think a bookmarking standard would create much
> added value.

After some reflection, I realized that this concern might be in the
domain of User Agent Hints as a more general category. So for starters,
I'd suggest;
   UA-Hints: safe=[yes|no]
And then I'd propose adding some server requests re history list
handling:
         history=no : This response SHOULD NOT be included in a UA
                      history list.
         history=noredo:  Show the current response in the history list
                      w/o ever reperforming the request. RELOAD/REFRESH
                      by the user follows safe= semantics.
         history=refresh: Never reshow the current response, rather
                      repeat the request or at least check it.
         history=replace: The page from which the current response was
                      requested is replaced. This is similar to =no except
                      that =no causes the next page to replace while
                      =replace allows the current response to replace the

The default would be the current haphazzard muddle implemented by the
individual UAs.

The control these options (including safe=) would greatly improve the
usability of three complex WWW applications I've assisted in the
development of.

Dave Morris