Re: Transfer-Encoding questions

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 96 15:12:59 EDT
To: rlgray@raleigh.ibm.com
rlgray@raleigh.ibm.com wrote:
  > When decoding chunked (section 3.6):
  >
  > 1) chunk-size is an arbitrary length hex string; however, it does not
  >    say anything about byte order.
  >    I presume, since the first digit cannot be zero except for the
  >    ending chunk, that it is intended to be little endian?

You're thinking too hard. :-)  It's just a number.  Convert it with
strtol().

  > 2) the spec is very vague on chunk-ext: it appears to be an extenstion
  >    mechanism; what am I supposed to do if I don't understand it?
  >    I presume ignore it.

It is an extension mechanism.  Yes, ignore what you don't understand.

  > 3) what is the point of the CRLF after the chunk-data?  We already know
  >    the size; it is only likely to introduce bugs in implementations
  >    that decide (falsely) that it is safe to just scan for CRLF.

It makes debugging easier, because each chunk-size begins on a new
line.  It would be reckless to scan for CRLF anyway, because CRLF could
be part of the chunked data.  So you obviously *have* to use the count.

Dave Kristol