Re: Netscape vs. Digest (?)

From: <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 96 16:20:53 -0400
To: ms@gf.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: hallam@ai.mit.edu

>Is it true that Netscape opposes Digest? Why? Is there anybody from Netscape
>on the list who can comment on this? Failing that, is there anybody not from
>Netscape who's willing to offer a hypothesis?

The story I heard blamed lack of cycles, but that tends to be
the way for every extension that they don't think up in house.

For a long time Netscape refused to contemplate tables claiming
they were unnecessary. They have dragged their feet on maths
markup for years claiming "nobody wants it".

What was somewhat ammusing was when Marc stood up to explain his
"discovery" that the Web could be used as an Intranet collaboration
tool, I think a guy in Geneva had a similar idea at some time:-)

		Phill