Re: New document on "Simple hit-metering for HTTP"

From: <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 16:00:22 -0400
To: mogul@pa.dec.com
Cc: hallam@ai.mit.edu, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

>How does your technique (with the server asking the proxy to transmit
>a large log) work when there are multiple levels of proxy involved,
>some of which may be hidden behind firewalls?

There are two parts to the question, first how do multiple levels of
proxy work, second how does the scheme work through firewalls.

To support multiple levels of proxy the proxy must be coded to support
passthrough fetching of logs. That is the proxy must be bidirectional
so that if a server requests a logfile from the outermost proxy it must
interrogate any inferiors which offered log file exchange.

Support for firewalls is more complex and in this case not automatic.
Unless the firewall allows the log files to be fetched they cannot
cross the firewall. This is the behavior I would expect a firewall to
enforce. After all the purpose of the firewall may be explicitly to
prevent leakage of such information.

		Phill