Re: Major errors in Caching and Cache-Control

From: Marc Salomon <marc@ckm.ucsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:27:41 -0700
To: http working group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
David W. Morris <dwm@shell.portal.com>:
|I agree, no-transform should exist (and I see no reason to forbid
|transformation with HTTP).

Agreed.  No-transform is necessary for applications that require exactness, and
those applications will most likely have native support for those data types
and be willing to pay the price download time.  The ability to transform at the
proxy/cache keeps me from having to maintain a program locally (a critical
concern on platforms at the base of the HW pyramid) to render proliferating
data types for applications that don't require exactness.

I.E. You can transform your PDF to HTML for me (but let me know about any
transformations and any loss of quality) but don't transform those highres
x-ray images associated with that article to 8-bit gif.

-marc