Re: draft-mutz-http-attributes-01

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:31:03 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Andy Mutz <mutz@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, paulle@microsoft.com, koen@win.tue.nl, mutz@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Andy Mutz:

>The new draft of draft-mutz-http-attributes is now available at:
>ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-mutz-http-attributes-01.txt
>
>Most of the syntax changes in the draft are to provide compliance
>with the transparent content negotiation method for features described
>in: draft-holtman-pre02-19.txt.
[...]
>  I would like to see non-numeric values
>for feature tags allowed.

I'll put non-numeric values in the next transparent content
negotiation draft.  Your UA-media-* tag family is an excellent example
of why they need to exist.  It is much nicer, and more efficient, to
say

 Accept-Features: UA-media=stationary

than it is to say

 Accept-Features: UA-media-stationary, !UA-media-screen

if you are going to print the response on stationary paper.

Where appropriate, I'll rewrite the examples in my transparent content
negotiation draft to use your feature tags.  I plan to submit an
updated transparent negotiation draft as an internet draft soon.

>Andy Mutz.

Koen.