Questions about i18n support in HTTP

From: Vartan Piroumian [TEMP] <vartan@eng.sun.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:59:41 -0700
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: vartan@seacat-73.eng.sun.com
Hi folks,

I apologize in advance if the following question shows my lack of
understanding of your latest spec.  :-)

I am reading your draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-01.txt document which
describes the HTTP 1.1 specification.

I have the following questions regarding HTTP support for
internationalization.

1. Does the HTTP spec stipulate that both request and response headers
must always be sent in ASCII?

2. If the answer to 1 above is "no", how can a client and server
negotiate "Accept-encoding"?  How else can such negotiation take
place?  Who will standarize the method of negotiation?  E.g., a
Unicode encoded client request is unreadable by an HTTP server running
on an EUC machine, regardless of the locale in which either the client
or server is running.

3. What is the difference between the "Content-language" and
"Accept-Language" fields?  Which one implies the runtime locale
setting of the client?

I would greatly appreciate any insight into the above questions.
You may email or call me.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Vartan Piroumian