14.36

From: Ted Hardie <hardie@merlot.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 11:22:19 -0700 (PDT)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I note that there has been a justification added for declaring that a
last-byte-pos in byte range after the end of the entity should be read
as naming the end of the entity, but I don't think the justification
fully answers the objections raised in:

http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/ange/archives/http-wg-archive/1012.html

and re-iterated in

http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/ange/archives/http-wg-archive/11196.html

My objections are not strong enough to want to raise a big fuss over
this--I think the current design risks semantic transparency in a
small number of cases to reduce round trips in an equally small number
of cases--but I would be interested in hearing any further arguments
which the editorial group might have heard in favor of this language.

				regards,
					Ted Hardie