Re: The Title header

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:09:12 PDT
To: john@math.nwu.edu
Cc: jg@zorch.w3.org, paulle@microsoft.com, aas@a.sn.no, fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Re removing "Title:"

> I don't think it is fair to call this decision an editorial decision.
> If you had decided to change the name to the corresponding MIME header
> that could be called editorial.

Yes, you're right: this was not an 'editorial' decision. The accepted
procedure was that any feature not explicitly HTTP/1.0 and for which
there was no consensus to add to HTTP/1.1 would be removed from
HTTP/1.1, and it was on those grounds that Title was dropped.

A number of items that appear in appendix D ("Additional Features") of
RFC 1945 (HTTP/1.0) did not make it into 1.1 for similar reasons.

Regards,

Larry