Re: Remapping charsets

From: Drazen Kacar <dave@fly.cc.fer.hr>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 01:23:14 +0200 (MET DST)
To: mirsad.todorovac@fer.hr
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Mirsad Todorovac wrote:

> -	let's suppose that browser cannot accept document charset, then
> 	document should be translated into charset which is supported
> 	by browser, but lest likely to loose some characters
>
> 	(Example: with CP-1250 and iso-8859-2 there are only some
> 		  swapped blocks of chars, says Dave, so then there should

Not only swapped blocks. In ISO 8859-2 positions from 129 to 159
are not used. CP1250 uses all 256 characters.

> 		  never be a loss in conversion, but we don't need to have
> 		  both, duplicate versions of documents -- one for UN*X
> 		  machines, and one for Wind*ws CEE [and still more for
> 		  other platforms ...]

This is an implementation question and does not belong here really.
However, I think it's good to point out these things from time to time
because some (most?) implementors don't know about it.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

dave@fly.cc.fer.hr
dave@zemris.fer.hr