Re: new web analysis page available

From: <touch@isi.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 13:05:31 -0700
To: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no, touch@isi.edu
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> the analysis you posted seems to be based on the assumption that the
> 'Net has room for the transactions, and that RTT*bandwidth is the limiting
> factor.

Yes.

> What I at UNINETT think is my problem that p-http will solve is the behaviour
> of "n" simultaneous HTTP clients and a connection (the US link) that has
> packet loss due to congestion, where I think the persistent HTTP sessions will
> back off more gracefully than the per-transaction ones,
> leading to fewer dropped packets and better overall throughput.

> Is there any analytical result for this case?

Not yet. However, if p-HTTP backs off better than the current case,
clients may opt for the latter. "Conventional wisdom" is that,
when provided with various levels of priority that can be controlled
by the user, the user will always chose the highest priority.

Joe

Joe Touch - touch@isi.edu		    http://www.isi.edu/~touch/
ISI / Project Leader, ATOMIC-2, LSAM       http://www.isi.edu/atomic2/
USC / Research Assistant Prof.                http://www.isi.edu/lsam/