Re: Age header (14.6)

From: <jg@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 96 10:05:23 -0400
To: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Roy and Jeff in private mail were concerned about the definition
of Age in the document.  Here's their concensus, and the
resulting Age definition for the next draft.
				- Jim

>To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@liege.ics.uci.edu>
>Cc: jg@w3.org
>Subject: Re: Age header (14.6)
>Date: Thu, 06 Jun 96 18:56:50 MDT
>From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
>
>    >     A cached response is "fresh" if its age does not exceed its
>    >     freshness lifetime.  Age values are calculated as specified
>    >     in section 13.2.3.  The Age response-header field conveys
>    >     sender's estimate of the amount of time since the response
>    >     (or its revalidation) was generated at the origin server.
>    >
>    > How's that?
>
>    Good, but for consistency's sake I would prefer
>
>	  The Age response-header field conveys the sender's estimate
>	  of the amount of time since the response (or its revalidation)
>	  was generated at the origin server.  A cached response is
>	  "fresh" if its age does not exceed its freshness lifetime.
>	  Age values are calculated as specified in section 13.2.3.
>
>Fine with me (looks like you just moved the last sentence of my
>paragraph).
>
>-Jeff

14.6 Age

The Age response-header field conveys the sender's estimate of the
amount of time since the response (or its revalidation) was generated
at the origin server. A cached response is "fresh" if its age does not
exceed its freshness lifetime. Age values are calculated as specified
in section 13.2.3.

        Age = "Age" ":" age-value
        age-value = delta-seconds

Age values are non-negative decimal integers, representing time in
seconds.

If a cache receives a value larger than the largest positive integer
it can represent, or if any of its age calculations overflows, it MUST
transmit an Age header with a value of 2147483648 (2^31). HTTP/1.1
caches MUST send an Age header in every response. Caches SHOULD use an
arithmetic type of at least 31 bits of range.