RE: Is referer spelled wrong?

From: Stephen Turner <S.R.E.Turner@statslab.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:43:23 +0100 (BST)
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I have had to look into this question recently for my logfile analysis
program, analog. "Referrer" is correct English in both US and British
varieties. Unfortunately, it's probably too late to change it now in HTTP.
Personally, I've just put it down as another example of illiteracy invading
our lives. (FWIW, analog understands either spelling as input, but outputs
"referrer" in its reports).

--
Stephen R. E. Turner
  Stochastic Networks Group, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge