no-transform

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 22:51:57 -0700
To: jg@w3.org
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
The messages on this thread in support of no-transform (or, I should
say, in support of transformations) may be accurate, but they do
not reflect what is currently specified as "no-transform".

Any change in image formats is a change in media type, not content coding.

In any case, I do not consider such a beast to be a cache.  If it is
changing the content of the messages, then it is acting as an
inter-protocol gateway.  As such, it has nothing to do with cache-control
and should be left to a more complex negotiating apparatus like PEP.

It is clear that this thing is not ready for prime time, and therefore
should be removed from the proposed standard.  I have many more relevant
and better specified additions to HTTP which have been removed for the
same reason.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/