Re: Rev81: COMMENT: 5.2 The Resource Identified by a Request

From: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:54:50 -0700
To: jg@w3.org
Cc: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
jg@w3.org writes:

 > 1. If Request-URI is an absoluteURI, the host is part of the
 > Request-URI. Any Host header field value in the request MUST be
 > ignored.
 >
 > o	Host request-headers are required in HTTP/1.1 requests.

Sorry if I'm being dense here or repeating past arguments, but...

If a client has determined that a given server speaks HTTP 1.1, should
it really be considered illegal to omit the HOST header if an absolute
URI is included in the request?

And what happens to a 1.0 server when it gets an absoluteURI from a
1.1 client in the request?  Isn't it the case that 1.0 servers (except
for proxies) expect request URIs without the scheme, host, or port?

Shel Kaphan
sjk@amazon.com