Re: charset flap

From: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:52:07 -0700
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Larry Masinter wrote:
> >
> >  b) charset MUST be supplied with all responses
> >     explicit "charset=x-unknown" if that's the case.
> >
> > I believe choice (b) was acceptable to everyone in the room, including
> > HTTP/1.1 client and server implementors. The two choices are
> > practically the same except that choice (b) will promote the more
> > frequent use of an explicit "charset=x-unknown" for content where that
> > is the case.
>
> And break all older (pre mid-95) clients that share a common cache with
> any HTTP/1.1 clients.

I will admit that I don't understand caches very well. If Roy is right,
then this would indeed be a problem, because the current Navigator
installed base treats "charset=x-unknown" as if it were ISO 8859-1, but
there is a bug in that it does not allow the user to override this using
the charset menu.

I would tend to agree with Roy that it seems dangerous to be adding
untested stuff to the spec at this stage.

Erik