Re: Section 14.36 Range, and PUTs

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 1996 02:39:58 -0700
To: jg@w3.org
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> ...  HTTP/1.1 proxies MUST forward such requests to the origin server ...

It is very important that the HTTP spec never say the above.  A proxy
must never be required to use resources, and a proxy/gateway cannot be
required to forward data (particularly through a firewall).

Jim, I think such statements are littered throughout the caching section.
Unfortunately, the correction will be context-dependent.  I will try
to find them on my read-through, but you may want to do a global
find in your copy.  Everyone else should look out for them as well.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/