Re: HTTP BOF at WWW4: Wednesday 7pm

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 1995 15:44:15 -0800
To: "David W. Morris" <dwm@shell.portal.com>
Cc: http working group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
> Excuse me!  I think it is quite unreasonable to expect that an unofficial
> gathering of folks interested in HTTP expect to hear from 'various groups
> working on bits of HTTP/1.1' about how they plan to proceed.

I don't care if it's reasonable or not -- it is simply how I would like
to run the BOF.  It is my BOF, my time, and my effort -- not a WG meeting --
and I would prefer to have the discussion reflect the actual plans of the
WG.  Why is that bad?  Would you prefer that I just say the HTTP WG
doesn't know what it is doing?

> First of all,
> the groups aren't formed yet and except for those of us who were in Dallas
> at the 2nd HTTP session, the group proposal is still unknown and possibly
> even rejected. Perhaps this should have been private mail to Larry Masinter
> asking if he would be available to introduce the concept and poposed
> time-line.

No, it was a reminder to the WG Chairs that they needed to get the information
on the list NOW (which Larry and Dave promptly accomplished) before I gave
two separate presentations on the topic next week.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/