Re: NCSA implementation of KeepAlive [Mac TCP issues]

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 12:34:56 -0700
To: Beth Frank <efrank@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> It was because the client is a Mac.  I've talked with our Mac guru,
> and the problem is that there isn't a non-block close connection call
> on the Mac.  If something has happened to the connection while the
> Mac is trying to close the connection the Mac can hang up to 30 seconds.
> So instead of doing a close, the Mac does an abort, which doesn't
> close the connection.  Whenever possible the Mac client needs the
> server to close the connection.

Umm, that seems odd -- I'd think an abort would be just a close with
a zero linger, in which case it does close the connection (or at least
it should).  However, it may just be that MacTCP is even worse than
I thought.

If this is the case, the Mac client must not use keep-alive when it does
not already know it will make another request.  Having the Mac send out
a fake final request is not appropriate -- doing so is a severe application
error, since it misuses server resources and leads to poor error reporting,
in addition to the network waste.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/