Re: domain-name?

From: Daniel DuBois <ddubois@rafiki.spyglass.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 09:45:49 -0500
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
At 05:58 PM 9/21/95 EDT, David Kristol wrote:
>I think Dave Morris's compromise, to define Orig-URI in a way that %%
>in the value string means "the URL in the request", nicely shortens the
>header's length.  I vote for that.

I also like the Dave Morris proposal.

Assumption: the reason people originally wanted the full Orig-URI: header
was to get the trailing "#blahblah" suffix information, for the sake of
partial returns, or for digest authentication keys, or...?

Response: We could just indicate that this information can occur after the
"%%", and that the "%%" is just a placehold for the Request-URI.  Everything
before and after the Request-URI will appear before and after the "%%" in
the Orig-URI: header.

I know, I'm asking for too much, but it seems like the best of both worlds
to me.
-----
Dan DuBois, Software Animal             http://www.spyglass.com/~ddubois/
		I absolutely do not speak for Spyglass.