Re: Color content negotiation

From: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 20:00:38 -0400
To: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>Since you bring in mailcap files: Would you think that this effort should
>actually attempt to do something to the mailcap RFC?

No, geez please no.  Mailcap files are already unsuitable for use
as a configuration mechanism since they make a lot of assumptions
about the environment and capabilities of the application.
Configuration files will be dependent on the architecture of the
user agent, and should never be standardized by the IETF
(and yes, that should have been true of MIME as well).

I would be overjoyed to see a common list of user agent capabilities
(what I refer to as an agent profile), but it should not be done
within the context of any existing configuration mechanism.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)