Re: Logic Bag concerns

From: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 20:13:13 -0600 (CST)
To: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Cc: dmk@allegra.att.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
According to Jeffrey Mogul:

> I'd vote to remove Unless and Logic Bags from the 1.1 spec, unless
> or until we have a concensus that these are necessary.  And I still
> think we ought to be using a Cache-validator: header (syntax and
> exact name to-be-determined, don't flame me about this!) with a 100%
> opaque validator, rather than fooling around with elaborate schemes
> that nobody seems to have any explicit need for.

I would also vote for an opaque cache validator.  We would need an
"If-cache-valid: <validator> " and an "If-cache-stale: <validator>"
and we would need to specify their *semantics*.  E.g. for a Range:
request with an If-cache-valid header send the range if valid, else send
entire document.

John Franks