Re: Possible optimization to State-Info proposal

From: <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 21:09:41 +0200
To: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Cc: sjk@amazon.com, bobwyman@medio.com, dmk@allegra.att.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
The documents that change each time you look at them are my reason for
the text for 1.1 that says:

> "GET and HEAD are idempotent, and so can be cached, UNLESS the following
> parameters are put on the document by the server...."

On second reading, the words "are idempotent" should be deleted. Simply
state that they can be cached, unless the server takes steps to prevent it.

That is, if you insist that something wrong happens if you cache it, you
have to play by the rules about how to defeat caching.
Otherwise, what your users get is what you deserve.

    harald A