Glossar: reload, refresh, no-cache

From: Danyel Ceccaldi <dceccald@elaine.crcg.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 22:17:43 -0400
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Hi folks,

I'm new in the http-wg list, but I'm listening
for a long time to some of the www-*-lists.

I just listened to a part of the discussions
of reload/refresh and no-cache.

I'm wondering if someone of you could draft
a HTML/HTTP-glossar. This glossar
should contain not only a technical clear
explanation of an expression, but should also
contain a recommended user-interface-dialog
when the user has to deal with the expression.

I'm not able to do it, is someone of you ?

----
Here's my opinion to reload, refresh and no-cache:

-reload
 Reload means reload and nothing else. In other words:
 LOAD IT AGAIN !!!

-refresh
 I'm not sure, but if I say Refresh I expect
  - do a screen refresh
  and/or
  - do whatever is necessary to give me something fresh
    of what I just had

-no-cache
 If I say no-cache, I mean Don't cache, and if the current
 http-spec says the chain-ends of a http-request have to ignore
 any Pragma-directive, they shuold do it. But everything between
 the chain must follow the directive so these shouldn't cache.

By
  Danny