Re: A modest proposal, made more specific

From: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 20:09:03 -0700
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com, mogul@pa.dec.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I tried to say this before but I think something bad happened when
I tried to send the mail.

I like Jeff's proposal better than what I suggested.  My mistake
was in presuming that nothing can be thrown away, in particular
if-modified-since.  Jeff's proposal obsoletes if-modified-since.
Since I don't believe if-modified-since can work without some form
of synchronization -- either NTP + browser hacks or something like
what I said, which is indeed too complicated, maybe it would be best
if it just went away in some future version of the protocol, and we
just not worry about fine-grained synchronization.

In any case the date+expires rule should go in sooner rather than later.

--Shel