Re: Expires, Last-Modified, Pragma: no-cache etc.

From: Albert Lunde <Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 17:42:30 -0600
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
At 1:04 PM 8/18/95, Roy Fielding wrote:
>Regarding the name "Pragma"
>
>   Yes, it is a bad choice for a protocol element name.
>
>We have two choices:
>
>   1) Change the name to something relevant, e.g., "Caching"
>
>   2) Continue using the same name and simply define the semantics
>      such that it means what we say it means.
>
>The first choice may look cleaner, but it neglects the fact that Pragma
>is already in use, already recognized (and forwarded) by proxies,
>and already has the de-facto semantics that we need.

I like something option (2)

Keep the behavior and name of "Pragma: no-cache the same", and document new
semantics for other pragmas or pragmas in general (and/or add another
header as needed.)

Are there any other widely implemented Pragma: headers?

---
    Albert Lunde                      Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu