Re: If-Modified-Since and forged dated

From: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 00:27:26 -0700
To: brian@organic.com, sjk@amazon.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, masinter@parc.xerox.com
Of course your example is right.

The questionable area is whether it is reasonable to expect
servers to set last-modified = the date of the last modification
to the data that went into producing the dynamic document in question,
or whether it is legit for them to say last-modified = date of production
of the actual document that is transmitted.

My entire argument rests on the assumption that the latter will be done.
If that isn't going to work, I recommend it be made explicit somewhere,
as the failure mode will be subtle -- just a lot of mysteriously
uncacheable documents.

--Shel