Is HTTP a better replacement for FTP ?

From: Hadmut Danisch <danisch@ira.uka.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 22:38:43 +0200
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I just was reading in RFC 959 which defines the FTP protocol. FTP is
quite old now and has a lot of rudiments and old-fashioned features
which nobody uses anymore.

Since HTTP can do everything what FTP could do, but IMHO in a much
better and modern way, I wonder whether it should be one of the goals
of http development to have a complete replacement for FTP and make
FTP die silently.

I have both a Web- and a FTP-server, but the FTP-server exists just
for historical reasons. Meanwhile the number of Web-servers in the
world increases much faster than the number of FTP-servers. I don't
see any advantage in having both protocols.

Any opinions?

Hadmut