Re: multiple Content-Encoding

From: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 15:48:40 -0400
To: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>Section 8.7 of draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-01.ps says:
>
>	If multiple encodings have been applied to a resource, the
>	encoding-mechanisms must be listed in the order in which they
>	were applied.
>	====
>
>I think this is backward.  I think they should be listed in the order
>in which they must be applied by the client in the order they're listed.
>	      ==== ==
>
>Consider foo.gz.Z.  Gzip was applied first, then compress.  NCSA HTTP
>1.3 produces this header:
>(It looks like the old CERN code I have doesn't support multiple
>encodings.)

I didn't think anyone did, but that interpretation is ugly.
Message header field values should be "added" via an append
operation.  Thus, each encoding becomes layered, and

has the same semantics as

If we reverse the order, then added headers must be prepended.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)