Re: If-Modified-Since and forged dated

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 19:23:51 +0200 (MET DST)
To: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Cc: masinter@parc.xerox.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
John Franks:

>According to Larry Masinter:
>
>> * A proxy or cache shouldn't save a document with a future
>>   last-modified.
>

>In the absence of another (cleaner) way to prevent caching this will
>become the de facto way for a server to tell a client (or proxy) not to cache.

Such another way is not absent.  Expires: <yesterday> is another way, and it
isn't a de facto way either.  It is in the draft standard, and has been in
the draft standard for some time.  From draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-02.html:

|8.7 Expires
|
|The Expires field gives the date/time after which the entity should be
|considered stale. This allows information providers to suggest the
|volatility of the resource. Caching clients, including proxies, must not
|cache this copy of the resource beyond the date given, unless its status has
|been updated by a later check of the origin server

Also, I think that Expires: <date in 1990> is much cleaner than
Last-modified: <date in 2010>.

>John Franks

Koen.