Re: Globalizing URIs

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 22:01:16 PDT
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Paul Hoffman: It's a URI issue all the way.
Glenn Adams:  Then the URI standard is in need of revision for I18N. It is hopelessly
              broken.
Larry Masinter:
	Hyperbole is hopelessly broken.

When there are Internet protocols that define network protocols that
properly address international issues, then we can invent URL schemes
for those protocols. Until then, URLs are merely a convenient linear
form for what exists.

(This isn't a HTML issue, but it is possibly a HTTP issue. Perhaps
some future version of what replaces HTTP can properly express
character encodings in all of the strings, including HEAD attributes,
etc.)