Re: Worries about content-length

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 19:38:16 PDT
To: hopmann@holonet.net
Cc: dwm@shell.portal.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I'm sorry, but I think if current practice is broken and you want to
make people aware of it, you can write two documents: (a) a
standards-track document saying what the standard should be, and (b)
an informational RFC that says what the current state of the
implementation of the standard is.

I think all of this stuff about "the standard should reflect current
practice on the Internet" is mainly a way of removing creeping
featurism. What we really meant to say is that "the standard shouldn't
have any more features in it than what people have actually
generally implemented".

I don't think we need to accomodate, in the standards document
'content-length is the length of the content except when it isn't'.