Re: Worries about content-length

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 11:00:57 PDT
To: dee@cybercash.com
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Because it would be wrong. The 'boundary' isn't a property of
image/gif. If you extract the document and then include it in a mail
message, you don't suddenly change it from "content-type: image/gif;
boundary=foo" to "content-type: image/gif". The content-type should
not change based on the method of transfer.

The boundary is best thought of as a property of the
content-transfer-encoding rather than of the content-type.