Re: Byte ranges -- formal spec proposal

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 08:44:55 -0400
To: luotonen@netscape.com
Cc: www-talk@w3.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
I do not like the idea of byte ranges being part of a URL.
In DynaWeb for example

is absolutely meaningless, because the actual file size is not
related to the size of the documents retrieved. Worse even,
there are cases (and DynaWeb is one) where a single URL
can possibly reference documents that differ in an
arbitrary manner.

In other words, byte ranges are not generally applicable to
all objects accessible via a URL, so we cannot make this
a requirement.

How about adding another method instead?