Re: ISO/IEC 10646 as Document Character Set

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 20:09:33 PDT
To: erik@netscape.com
Cc: connolly@w3.org, erik@netscape.com, html-wg@oclc.org, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> Many of the sites are not "customers".  They are universities taking
> part in this great thing called WWW.  Why should anybody consciously
> destroy the interoperability that these folks are enjoying?

People always confuse 'writing the standard' with 'making people
change their code or server'. What we write as the standard for HTML
2.0 won't become the standard for at least 6 months. We *don't* have
to include the transition plan in the same document that includes the
standard. We're not "destroying" interoperability by writing down a
standard that we think is the right thing to do, especially if we
think there *is* a transition plan.