Re: Why is Message-ID header in HTTP?

From: Phillip M. Hallam-Baker <hallam@dxal18.cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 16:59:40 +0900
To: Owen Rees <rtor@ansa.co.uk>, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Cc: hallam@dxal18.cern.ch

>Message-ID seems to me to be out of place as an HTTP header. I think it should
>be removed, and if there is any existing use problem that needs to be
>described, do this in an appendix treating it as an extension-header.

I disagree. There are several instances when it is usefull to be able to specify
the message-id as a meta item. For example a HTTP server may be a news/mail
gateway in its own right. A user with an HTTP client needs to be able to
determine the Message Id used in certain circumstances.

If we have proxy chains there is a great advantage in being able to index and
identify messaged by an identifier.

I have always thought that its a pity this field was not made mandatory.
Especialy for replies.

	Phill