Re: character sets in HTTP: translation tables

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 10:31:09 -0500
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>What business does a standard for a transport protocol have addressing the
>encoding schemes of the various data types it sends between a source and
>destination?

Well, apart from the various Accept: proposals, not much. Still,
the discussion is broader than HTML, and HTTP must be at least
a little sensitive to the expected content (or we would not
even have Accept-language:). Nothing lives in a vacuum.

If people generally feel this is not an appropriate place to conduct
these discussions, I would be happy to desist.