Re: New draft; Content-Length

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 22:04:32 -0800
To: Mike Cowlishaw <mfc@vnet.ibm.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> I see a lot of work has gone into the new draft; it's looking good (but
> there do seem to be some surprising additions, such as 'Mandatory'!).

It may get taken out and postponed until 1.1, unless there is a great
cry to leave it in.  It seemed like a good idea at the time ...

> One question which I don't think is covered: if a client sends a
> header with more than one Content-Length line, should the server
> return an error, use the first (or last) Content-Length encountered,
> or just ignore all the Content-Length lines?

Good question -- I'm not sure.  My gut feeling is that if it is received
by the server (in a POST), the server should return a bad request error
unless the lengths are identical.  For clients receiving it from a server,
I would think the client should use the last one encountered.
Does that sound reasonable?

......Roy Fielding   ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine  USA
                                     <fielding@ics.uci.edu>
                     <URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding>