Re: open/request/close in one packet?

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 94 15:36:13 PST
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
    What with all this talk about round-trip time, folks might want to
    look at RFC1644: T/TCP -- TCP Extensions for Transactions Functional
    Specification.

Which might make interesting reading, but there's no way that this
protocol will be widely implemented any time soon.  And we can solve
essentially all of the RTT issues with vanilla TCP, if used properly.

    Also, even without TCP Extensions, I'm told that it seems to be
    possible to open a TCP connection, send some data (e.g., a HTTP
    request) and request the close of the connection all in one packet.
    Of course, few network implementations support this from the sender
    size.

Which makes this also rather a moot issue.

-Jeff